Lost Your Dog?

If your dog goes missing, here are some things you can do to try and find them:

Search the Local Area

Visit places you normally visit with your dog and take their favourite toy, blanket and/or treats. Have a picture or handout with you to give to people, and ask postmen and other service personnel that cover a wide area. Ask around any building sites in your area, as your pet may have become trapped.

Contact Local Dog Warden

The dog or animal warden for your local council is legally responsible for stray dogs and the most likely to have picked them up, or had them handed in.

  • Wirral council dog warden: Friends of Birkenhead Kennels, The Kennels, Corporation Road, Birkenhead, Merseyside CH41 4JZ.
    Tel: 0151 606 2003
  • To find your local dog warden: www.gov.uk/check-council-missing-dog

Contact Kennels, Animal Rescues and Vets

Someone may have found your pet and handed them in to a local animal organisation, so ask around. Some places may allow you to put up a “lost dog” poster.

Social Media

Use the power of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on to ask people to share pictures, a description and where your pet went missing from. There are lots of groups and pages set up just for missing pets.


Ask local businesses if you can out a “lost dog” poster up in their window or on a noticeboard, e.g. shops, supermarket, vet surgeries, pet stores. Also, get friends and neighbours to put one in their window. You may require consent from the local council to display posters on lamp posts.

Microchip Database

Make sure your details are always kept up-to-date. If you don’t know your pet’s microchip number, ask your vet to scan them.

There are several microchip databases in the UK and your microchip will belong to one of them – contact the relevant database to make any changes:

Be wary of pet-recovery scams. When talking to a stranger who claims to have found your pet, ask him to describe the pet thoroughly before you offer any information. Be particularly wary of people who insist that you give or wire them money for the return of your pet.